Saturday, January 4, 2014

Talking about Future Plans

In English we use different tenses to talk about our plans for the future. It’s important to know the difference between them, so that you can start to really sound like a native speaker.

Will

When we make a decision about our plans for the future at the time of speaking, we use will.
For example…
  • Johnny the phone’s ringing! OK, I’ll get it mum! (He decides to answer the phone as he replies to his mum. He didn’t plan to answer it beforehand – and didn’t know it was going to ring)
  • I just can’t make up my mind what shoes to wear tonight. I know. I’ll wear my new sparkly white ones!

Going to

When we already have decided on plans for the future, before the time of speaking, we use going to.
For example…
  • I’m going to ring Johnny this evening. I told him I’d call after football practice at 8pm (He already had the plan to ring Johnny earlier in the day, before speaking).
  • We’re going to order Chinese food today. We’ve already looked at the menu.
  • I know there isn’t any bread. I’m going to buy a loaf. It’s on my shopping list.

Present Continuous

We use the present continuous for future plans when we have already made an ‘arrangement’. This usually means that more than one person is involved in the plan and we know the place and time.
  • I’m having dinner with Mike tonight at 7pm.
  • We’re celebrating Sarah’s birthday next Friday – are you up for it?
  • What are you doing tomorrow? (It is very common to use this tense when asking about other people’s plans for the future)

Quick Practice

Which future tense would you use in these situations?
  1. Oh no – it’s raining outside! I (take) an umbrella
  2. Sorry I can’t come. I (go) to the cinema with Jason tonight.
  3. I want to be more healthy. I know! I (start) playing tennis.
  4. What’s your plan for today? I (study) until the evening and then relax!
  5. I’ve got some big news! I (ask) Lily to marry me tomorrow!

Your Turn

It’s important to practice using these tenses as much as possible, to really get a feel for them. Write half a page about your future plans, and try to use each of these 3 tenses at least twice. Good luck!

(Answers)

  1. I’ll take an umbrella
  2. I’m going to the cinema with Jason tonight.
  3. I’ll start playing tennis.
  4. I’m going to study until the evening and then relax!
  5. I’m going to ask Lily to marry me tomorrow!

time phrasal verbs

Time is an essential part of our lives – in fact, we never seem to have enough of it! That’s why time forms a major part of the English language – and we use it in all sorts of ways to communicate how we deal with everyday activities. Phrasal verbs to do with time are just one of the ways we do this – discover more with our easy list!

 1. Fit in 

Ever feel as if you have to squeeze in as much as possible into your day? You can use this phrasal verb to describe scheduling different activities into the time you have.
E.g. “I’ll try and fit in a doctor’s appointment in between my lectures.”

 2. Hang on

This phrasal verb is used to describe waiting for someone, or giving extra time to do something.
E.g. “Hang on for a few minutes – they’re just on their way here now!”

 3. Run out 

This describes coming to the end of a specific time period, such as the time allocated to a task or deadline.
E.g. “We couldn’t complete the task because we ran out of time to do it all!”

 4. Get on

Phrasal verbs might sound similar – but they can mean completely different things! You can use this phrase to describe moving ahead in time, and not staying fixated with the past.
E.g. “After we broke up, I decided the best way to get on with life was to have a fresh start.”

Quick Practice

Which phrasal verb would you use in the following events?
  1. To describe your ambitions to progress with your career, after a difficult start.
  2. When you only have a few days left to prepare for a big party.
  3. Your friend is impatient to leave the dinner table, but the waiter will soon come.
  4. You have to visit several different people all on one day.

Your turn

Practising using phrasal verbs really is the best way to learn and understand them, so have fun and make up a conversation with a group of people! Try and use each phrase at least once – and discover the different ways you can use them.

No comments:

Post a Comment